You Will Need
- 2L Dashi (or chicken/vegetable stock)
1lb Mirepoix (2:1:1 ratio of onion, celery, carrot. so 8 oz onion, 4 oz celery and carrot.)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup shoyu
- pepper (I used about 2 turns of my pepper mill, more or less is up to you!)
- Parsley (if you are going to serve this to family or friends it would make a nice garnish!)
1. Add your olive oil to the pan, and heat the pan up.
2. Sweat the vegetables and stir to help keep the vegetables from burning (onions should turn translucent not brown or black)
3. Once the vegetables have been sweated, add the can of tomato paste to the vegetables, and cook together until the tomato paste has a sweet aroma.
4. If the tomato paste is burning, and it hasn't achieved a sweet aroma, you can add some of the dashi, or what ever stock you are using to help keep it from drying out.
5. Once the tomato paste has a sweet aroma, slowly add your stock while stirring.
6. Bring the soup to a boil, and lower to a simmer.
7. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, while you add salt, shoyu, and pepper. Be sure to check the taste while you are adding these seasonings, you can put more or less of all of them to your liking.
8. Dish out, and garnish (I forgot to buy parsley so I didn't)
9. Either serve hot, or chill and serve cold, (its delicious both ways!)